News and Information

No leads yet in Caprivi highway attack
July 5, 2006
No leads yet in Caprivi highway attack


POLICE were yesterday afternoon still searching for the assailant who ambushed two vehicles in west Caprivi on Friday.

The suspect shot and killed one person and several others had to flee for their lives when the man attacked two vehicles on the highway between Omega and Chetto.

Prime Minister Nahas Angula said on Sunday that the attack was being dealt with at the highest level in Government.

According to witnesses, the man who shot at the cars was wearing dark glasses, a black jacket and only socks on his feet.

Police spokesman Warrant Officer James Matengu said the search was still on.

Walvis Bay resident Mathias Braune and his family were the first victims.

They were travelling from Katima Mulilo towards Rundu mid-morning on Friday when somebody suddenly appeared in the middle of the road.

He tried to stop Braune but did not succeed.

When Braune drove past him the man opened fire and hit the bakkie's canopy.

Braune proceeded to Omega and met another vehicle coming from the other direction.

He stopped and warned the three people travelling in a Toyota Corolla about the attempted ambush.

However, Kaleb Semi (25), a friend known as Museke and another unidentified hitchhiker, a Zambian national, continued on their way and were attacked.

The hitchhiker was shot and killed while the other two fled the scene.

Their car was burnt out.

Earlier, Prime Minister Angula said the Police were still investigating the motive behind the attack.

It was also not clear whether the attacker was a Namibian.

Sunday's meeting in the Office of the Prime Minister, attended by top security agents and politicians, evaluated the situation and Angula did not rule out the fact that it could be an attack from across the border in Angola.

* Meanwhile, Nampa reports that Khwe chief Benny Ngobara has called on the security forces to carry out patrols in his area, which is close to where the man was shot dead.

The Chief, who is attending a driving course at Tsumeb in the Oshikoto Region, said there was fear among people in his area.

"I received information that some members of the security forces are threatening my people since the incident occurred," he said.

He said he feared a repeat of the situation in 2002 when Unita rebels from Angola attacked people in the area.

Many young people from his community went missing during that time.

"Let them do their work and not harass my community," Ngobara said.

He called on people in the affected areas to work hand-in-hand with the Police in solving the case.

He warned that residents should not hide unknown people in their houses, stressing that they should report any suspicious movements to the Police as soon as possible.

The Regional Police Commander, Chief Inspector Tylves Kampolo, gave an assurance that the situation was under control and that road users could travel without any fear.


    Support Caprivi Freedom
Fill out the form below to become a member of this site and receive our regular newsletter.

First Name
Last Name